Pages

Thursday 6 September 2018

Writing: Sentences Using Colons

Today for writing we were learning about sense verbs and also colons. Firstly we were asked to watch a video that explains how to and where to use the colons. I learnt that colons are used to make an strong statement. Colons are also used to make a list. There will be a capital letter after the colon, means that particular part will happen. However if the word that begins with a small letter after the colon, means it's not sure. Here are some examples:

(This is something that is definitely happening or going to happen)

I love watching T.V shows my favourite on is: Sponge Bob.
or
I am definitely going to buy: Carrots, lettuce, coconuts and bananas

(This is something that might happen, or that might not happen)

I think I am going to buy: sauce, and carrots

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sentences using colons
L.I. - using colons correctly
The colons are missing from these sentences. Please add them in.


There are two choices at this time: run away or fight.
We knew who would win the game: The Eagles
He wanted to see three cities in Italy: Rome, Florence and Venice
Remember: Two can play at that game.
She kept repeating: “I really want that car!”
Barry wanted to know why I didn’t respond to his text: I hadn’t received it.
Here are three states that begin with M: Michigan, Mississippi and Maine.
You can come pick me up now: I am feeling much better.
Never forget this point: Think before you speak.
This house has everything I need: two bedrooms, a backyard and a garage.
The town reminded me of my childhood vacations: both were on the beach.
I have several favorite genres of movies: drama, science fiction and mystery.
This was first said by Shakespeare: “To thine own self be true.”
I bought a lot of meat at the store: bacon, turkey, chicken and tuna.
The world's a stage: play your role well.
The new boss has many nice traits: friendly, outgoing and fair.
These are my favorite colors: purple, turquoise, pink and yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment