Pages

Friday 22 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey 2017 - 2018 - Week 1 - Day 1 - Activity 1

Today I have started doing to Summer Learning Journey for 2017 and 2018. The title of the task I did is "Arriving in New Zealand".
For this task I have to read a story about Māui and the giant fish. After I've read the story I had to write down three interesting facts I learnt. Here are the three interesting facts...

My First Fact
Māui dreamed of the day that he could go fishing with his older brothers. Each time his brothers returned from a fishing trip Māui would ask, "Next time, can I come fishing with you?"

My Second Fact
Secretly Māui hatched a plan to prove he was a great fisherman. One night when Māui was alone he began weaving a strong fishing line from flax. As he wove he recited an old karakia to give his fishing line strength.

My Third Fact
When he was finished with his fishing line, he took a jawbone which his ancestor Murirangawhenua had given him, and bound it tightly to the line. Early the next morning, Māui took his fishing line and secreted himself in the hull of his brothers' canoe.
Image result for maui and the fish
These are the three facts I found interesting interesting and I hope that you find it interesting too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sanujan,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you during the Summer Learning Journey this summer. It's great to see that you have made a start on these activities! Well done!

    These are some good facts about Maui. I like how you have laid out your thinking and talked about Maui using a karakia for strength in his fishing line. Why didn't Maui's brothers want him to go fishing with them?

    Have you heard any other stories about Maui? There is another really good one about how Maui brought fire to the word. Here is the link if you would like to read it:
    http://eng.mataurangamaori.tki.org.nz/Support-materials/Te-Reo-Maori/Maori-Myths-Legends-and-Contemporary-Stories/How-Maui-brought-fire-to-the-world

    Let me know what you think!
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sanujan
    Well done on completing the first summer learning journey activity. I liked your facts about Maui. My favorite one is the third one. I like how Maui managed to get to fish with his brother. Keep up the excellent work Sanujan.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete