Pages

Friday 22 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey 2017 - 2018 - Week 1 - Day 2 - Activity 4

The Summer Learning Journey is going smooth to me and today my task was called...
A House or a Home?

Our Task...
In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?


The Wharepuni
Image result for wharepuni

My House
Photo from google maps




Similarities 1: The first similarity between my house and the Wharepuni is that they both are shelter to people.
Similarities 2: The second similarity between my house and the Wharepuni is people are safe inside them.

Difference 1: The first difference between them is the shape.
Difference 2: The second difference between them is the design and layout





4 comments:

  1. Hey there Sanujan, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. Well done on completing this activity and to such a high standard. I am really impressed with the photos you have included of the specific things around your property and also that you were able to locate your home on google maps and then add it to your post.

    I was wondering if you could tell me about the differences in building materials used for the wharepuni and your home?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sanujan,
    My name is Patricia from the Summer Learning Journey team.
    This is a great post! The photos you used here really added a point of interest to your post.
    I hope you are enjoying your holidays and by now starting to think about your return to school, only 2 weeks to go.
    If you would like to continue with the activities follow this link
    https://sites.google.com/site/summerlearningjourney/weekly-activities/week-one
    Dig in and keep blogging, I can wait to see your next post!
    Kia Kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sanujan
    Great job on finishing this summer learning journey activity. I like how you added many pictures of your own house and the wharepuni. It helped me see the differences and similarities more clearly. Keep up the awesome work Sanujan.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sanujan,

    What a great work! Fantastic!

    I really love your blog post because you use some beautiful picture to make it easier for us to understand it.I really loved your post and keep up that hard work!!!!

    ReplyDelete